Sunday 3 January 2016

Spur of the moment rhubarb

Well, here we are back from our 2 week holiday, and gearing up to go back to work tomorrow. So it must be the unpacking, tidying away, going to the supermarket day. I had to nip to a well known catalogue shop, to enable us to connect our new DVD player to the TV, so Mr Beard said he would get started on the shopping and I could catch him up. This ended with him doing a run down of most of the week's food in the yoghurt aisle.
As I was packing the stuff as it came down the conveyor belt, I noticed a packet of new season forced rhubarb from Yorkshire. "Rhubarb?" I said. "Yes", he replied "It looked nice and I thought you could make a crumble."
I had to agree that it did look nice, but I didn't really feel like a crumble. It all seemed like a very Nigel Slater thing to do. Buy something in season because it looked nice and then conjure some delicious sweet treat from it. So I was drawn to the Kitchen Diaries III book which made and appearance on my shelves over the festive season, but alas only rhubarb with pork chops was to be found therein. I checked all my Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall books too, as he also strikes me as someone with good rhubarb recipes. But nothing quite took my fancy, so I resorted to google. Hey presto! Nigel Slater in a Guardian article making things with rhubarb. So Rhubarb and Cinnamon Polenta Cake it was. I was determined to stick to the recipe verbatim, but then a panic where, realising that Nigel Slater must have a larger capacity food processor than me, and thinking it wasn't all going to fit (it did, I just panicked for no reason) made me forget to put the orange zest in. It didn't seem to matter though, as the crumbly buttery cake with bright pink rhubarby centre was better than I even hoped



1 comment:

  1. Now that looks delicious enough to buy polenta for the larder until the next time we stumble across some reduced rhubarb which we often buy but never eat.

    ReplyDelete